Tip off Time
2016 WNIT Round of 16
7:05 p.m. Mountain Time
Don Haskins Center, El Paso Texas
Streaming: Miner TV$$$
Radio: In El Paso, 600AM ESPN El Paso, or KROD.com
- TCU is appearing in the postseason for the 14th time in the last 16 seasons. The 14 appearances are tied for the third most in that time span among Big 12 programs, trailing only Baylor (16) and Oklahoma (16) and tied with Iowa State (14). TCU is making its fifth all-time appearance in the Postseason Women's NIT.
- This is the 15th all-time meeting between the Frogs and Miners. TCU has won four of the last five games between the teams but UTEP won the most recent meeting on Feb. 21, 2001 in El Paso 79-76. TCU is 2-4 all-time in El Paso against UTEP.
- • Zahna Medley became the all-time leading scorer in TCU Basketball history, men's or women's basketball, during TCU's Senior Night win over Kansas on Feb. 29, 2016, passing TCU great Sandora Irvin's previous mark of 1,892 career points.
- Zahna Medley was also named the a first team All-Big 12 Conference selection for the third consecutive season, becoming the first player in program history to earn first team honors three times. AJ Alix took home honorable mention honors, her first career all-conference honor.
- The Horned Frogs earned their first-ever postseason bid in 2001 and have made nine trips to the NCAA Tournament, advancing to the second round in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006. The program has a 5-9 record in the NCAA Tournament.
- TCU has used eight different starting lineups this season, including five different lineups in conference games. 10 players on the TCU roster have at least one career start to their name, including nine different players this season.
- TCU is in its second season under the leadership of head coach Raegan Pebley. Pebley led TCU to 18 wins in 2014-15, the most wins in a coaches' firstyear at TCU in program history. Pebley is looking to become the first coach in program history to lead a team to the postseason in their first two seasons as the Horned Frogs' head coach.
- With two wins in the postseason, TCU has tied its program best for wins in a single postseason. TCU had two wins in the 2008 Postseason Women's NIT. A win in round three of the tournament would give the Horned Frogs three postseason wins for the first time in program history and mark the first time that either the men's or women's program at TCU has won three postseason (NCAA, NIT, WNIT, CBI) games in the same year.
- • TCU's 97 points against UT Rio Grande Valley in the Women's NIT opener were the most scored by TCU in a postseason game in program history and the most by a Big 12 Conference team in Women's NIT play all-time.
- • TCU is the automatic qualifier from the Big 12 Conference for the Postseason Women's NIT for the third consecutive season. TCU's appearance in the third round of the Women's NIT marks the 13th time in the last 14 years that a team from the Big 12 Conference has advanced to at least the third round of the tournament.
- UTEP has three of the top 10 players in C-USA for steals/game, with each also among the NCAA leaders. Starr Breedlove (3.1-first/seventh), Jenzel Nash (2.8-second/19th) and Cameasha Turner (2.0-eighth/120th).
- Breedlove is also in ratings for assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4-fifth/162nd), assists/game (3.6-10th/182nd) and three-point percentage (44-126, 34.9-12th C-USA/DNQ).
- Turner (131-271, 48.3-11th) and Taylor (125-263, 47.5-13th) are top 15 in C-USA for FG percentage.
- UTEP has led for 73% of their total games (939:09 of 1295:00) on the year, with at least a 30+ minute advantage in 23 tilts.
- UTEP's bench is outscoring their opponents bench 810-503 (25.3 ppg-15.7 ppg).
- UTEP has outscored opponents 674-391 (21.1 ppg-12.2 ppg) in points off turnovers.
- The Miners also hold advantages in second-chance points at 420-333 (13.1 ppg-14.5 ppg), points in the paint at 1,004-830 (31.4 ppg-25.9 ppg) and fast-break points at 328-136 (10.2 ppg-4.2 ppg).
- UTEP set the single-season school record with 376 total steals. The prior record was 355 (‘13-14).