Tip off Time
2016 WNIT Second Round
7:05 p.m. Mountain Time
Don Haskins Center, El Paso Texas
Streaming: Miner TV$$$
Radio: In El Paso, 600AM ESPN El Paso, or KROD.com
- Arkansas State was the Sun Belt regular season champion has set a single-season school record for wins with a record of 27-5 and has advanced to the WNIT second round for the second straight year. Its five losses have been by a combined 22 points.
- The Miners are 17-0 on the year in El Paso, marking the longest home winning streak in school history (prior best 14 straight). They boast a +15.0 scoring margin (75.6-60.6) in those games.
- A-State is 12-4 on the road this year, including an 9-1 mark within SBC action. The four setbacks have been by a combined 15 points, with two of the setbacks coming against 2016 NCAA Tournament teams.
- For the second straight game and 15th occasion in program history, both teams enter with 20+ wins. The Miners are 9-5 all time in such contests, including 6-3 in postseason play.
- UTEP (27-4) and A-State (27-5) have a combined 54 wins between the programs, which ties as the third-most victories between the Miners and an opponent for a contest in program history.
- UTEP was 16-2 in conference play to equal the school and league record for C-USA victories. This year's team shares the honors with the 2008 Miners (16-0), Houston (16-0, 2011) and Western Kentucky (16-2, 2015).
- Arkansas State's Khadija Brown-Haywood (first team) and Brittney Gill (third team) also secured All-Sun Belt Conference accolades.
- Gamble led the SBC and was among nation's best in assists/game (5.0-50th), assist-to-turnover ratio (1.8-63rd). Brown-Haywood di so for defensive boards/game (7.0-22nd), double-doubles (14-26th), rebounds/game (9.3-49th).
- Gamble pours in 18.7 points/game (second SBC/45th nation) while Brown-Haywood is at 17.4 points/game (third SBC/72nd nation).
- Amanda Lawson (9.8 ppg), Jessica Flanery (8.8 ppg) and Gill (8.1 ppg) have also been consistent scorers.
- Arkansas State won the first five meetings between the programs but UTEP has claimed the past two match-ups, including a 74-64 victory in the first round of the 2014 WNIT on March 21, 2014.
- The two squads split a pair of match-ups during the 2004-05 season.