Sean Kugler said a few weeks ago that defensive play makers were on the radar in this upcoming recruiting cycle, and so far the focus has been to give Tom Mason a few new weapons.
UTEP has recently offered at least six known defensive players, and we know are involved with at least eight defensive players or more after the first week of the contact period.
Coaches were spotted evaluating, and meeting prospective targets across their recruiting areas like Texas, California, and the Mississippi JUCO scene to start things off.
The mid-year JUCO signing period is UTEP’s first priority according to Kugler, and sources tell us UTEP has hit the JUCO scene with a selective eye for guys who can legitimately help right away at needed areas.
Here at the latest offers..
(click on links for Hudl highlights)
- Tomarcio Reese 6’0, 215 pound, JUCO Soph, outside linebacker from Northwest Mississippi CC via Moultrie, Georgia was offered on November 29th. Rangy, and explosive athlete who could fill Nick Usher’s spot, and/or be used as a hybrid LB/S.
- Wesley Bush, 6’2, 185 pound, JUCO Soph, strong safety from Northwest Mississippi CC originally from Macon, Mississippi.
- Rhoy Williams, 6’3, 195 pound JUCO Soph, defensive back from Co-Lin CC, originally from Vaughn, Mississippi.
- Jassir Jordan, 5’11, 180 pound, 2017 HS prospect, corner from the Milford Academy, orginally from Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. UTEP was heavily involved in his 2016 recruitment, but opted to go to a post year grad academy. Cincinnati, and WKU have also offered.
Other active offers
- Desmond Robinson, 6’3, 215 pound, 2017 HS prospect, outside linebacker from Atlanta, Texas. Also has an offer from Wyoming.
- Marcus Carrasco, 6’3, 225 pound, 2017 HS prospect, outside linebacker from La Habra, California.
- Madison Wheeler, 5’11, 190 pound, 2017 HS prospect, ATH, RB/S, from La Habra, California.
- Patrick Sullivan, 6’3, 180 pound, 2017 HS prospect, ATH, WR/DB, El Paso-Parkland. Led city of El Paso in interceptions.
UTEP only has 12 scholarships to work with for the class of 2017, so a high volume of offers like in past year’s is not expected in this cycle. UTEP will more than likely over sign on high school prospects who were offered gray shirt spots later in the cycle.
Kugler and Co. are still after two of El Paso’s top remaining uncommitted FBS prospects in running back Josh Fields from Americas who was among the state’s leading rushers this past season.
UTEP is also involved with El Paso-Parkland defensive lineman Josh Wells who led the state in sacks for most of the season, but we are unable to confirm if an offer has been fully extended.
Offensive coordinator Brent Pease also visited Sacramento, California quarterback Calvin Brownholtz this week who threw for 2,400 yards and 27 touchdowns this past season and was offered back in June.
6’2 defensive back, and JUCO prospect Marcus Rosser also met with UTEP coaches during a recent visit to San Diego Mesa College.
The JUCO mid-year signing period is on December 11th, so expect maybe a few more JUCO offers before then.