The offense is getting better and better and the defense showed some major improvement in Week 3. The Miners now boast the nations 18th strongest offense up a whopping 9 spots from last weeks rank of 27. The Miners still trail Houston and Tulsa in the league but the offense has been absolutely lights out early on in 2010. The Miners improved ground attack was the main reason for the jump. Going in to NMSU, UTEP had the 55th best rushing offense in the country with 167 ypg. Now, a much healthier 194.33 gives UTEP the 36th best rushing offense in the nation.
Another stat I love: UTEP is ranked 2nd in the C-USA in turnover margin (33rd nationally).
UTEP's 2010 Team Offense Stats & Ranks Through Week 3
|Offense||Actual||NCAA Rank||C-USA Rank||C-USA Leader|
|Rushing Offense||194.33 ypg||36||3||UAB (204 ypg)|
|Passing Offense||271.67||24||4||Tulsa (328.00)|
|Sacks Allowed||.67 per game||17th (T)||2||Marshall (.33 pg)|
|Total Offense||466||18||3||Tulsa (517.67)|
|Scoring Offense||32.33||41||4||Houston (45 ppg)|
Defensively, look at UTEP's updated numbers. Yes, I realize the Miners still have the 90th ranked defense in the nation in terms of total yards. But, I can't help but be ecstatic at the fact that UTEP is now ranked in the top half of C-USA in passing defense, total defense, and scoring defense. It's not on the chart, but UTEP is ranked 4th in the C-USA in pass efficiency defense (50th nationally). The Miners have four interceptions which is tied for second in the league (Tulsa has 5).
UTEP's 2010 Team Defense Stats & Ranks Through Week 3
|Defense||Actual||NCAA Rank||C-USA Rank||C-USA Leader|
|Rushing Defense||160.00 ypg||71||8||Tulane (78.00)|
|Passing Defense||250||93||5||UCF (133.0)|
|Sacks||.67 pg||112||12||Marshall (3.67 pg)|
|Total Defense||410||90||6||UCF (261.67)|
|Scoring Defense||24.67||76||5||UCF (15 ppg)|
- Trevor Vittatoe: TV Is 12th in the nation in total offense with 298.67 yards per game. Vitattoe is also ranked 42nd in the nation in Pass Efficiency with a 143.12 rating.
- Joe Banyard: Banyard is the nations 80th leading rusher with 65 yards per game.
- Kris Adams: Adams is ranked 41st in the nation in receiving yards per game (82.67). KA is ranked 3rd in the C-USA.
- The O-Line: The offensive line doesn't get the credit of a national ranking. But, I have to point out that UTEP is averaging a ridiculous 6.1 yards per rush without Donald Buckram.
- The Miners are averagine 23.85 yards per kickoff return (5th in C-USA, 38th nationally). On punt returns, UTEP is also 5th in the C-USA with a 9.14 yard per return (52nd nationally)